Wednesday, February 10, 2016

I.S.S. from those inexplicable zombie-like mornings

Do you ever feel like you have I.S.S.? I.S.S. is an acronym for a term I coined "Insatiable Somnolence Syndrome." Somnolence is defined as the state of being sleepy or drowsy. So it could more simply be called Insatiable Sleep Syndrome. A classic I.S.S. episode is best epitomized by those mornings where you hear the alarm go off, hit that snooze button, and cry out in a whiny, petulant, child-like voice, "I don't wanna get up!"

That was me this morning. That was me this morning 21 times as I hit the snooze button for one hour and fifty-five minutes!!!! Lord, help me. The thing is, I went to bed relatively early in preparation for my 4am waking time. So when the alarm went off at 4am, why did I feel like a truck had just hit me?! Why did the fact that I needed to get up make me feel like pounding my fists and kicking my feet on my bed like a 2-year-old having a temper tantrum at the grocery store? Why did I wish that it wouldn't be completely lame and irresponsible of me to just call in sick so I could stay in bed and sleep til noon?

This kind of thing happens inexplicably sometimes (and sometimes you just stayed up way too late watching Arrow on Netflix--which was NOT me.....not last night, anyway.) And these mornings can really throw a wrench in your day. I got out of bed only 20 minutes before I had to leave for work! Thankfully, I had picked out my outfit for the day the night before. Thankfully, I had a bunch of breakfast, lunch, and snack options packaged up in the fridge ready to haphazardly throw into my lunch cooler for work. Thankfully, my purse was packed and ready for the day by the front door. Thankfully, I had cleaned up my bedroom and the kitchen the night before, so I wasn't all distracted by clutter as the whirlwind that was me was getting ready to head out.  And amazingly I got to work on time.

Work. Now I have to work after getting what feels like no sleep?! I sat down at my desk, and before doing any actual work, I opened up this notepad that I'd been utilizing as my To-Do notebook for the past few days and wrote out my task list for the day (I even drew little boxes to check the items off as I completed them). I only wrote down tasks that didn't require too much complicated thought, setting those aside for another day, because I knew that, as tired as I was, I wouldn't be able to complete them adequately. And surprisingly, I got a ton of work done. I was sleepy, which really makes it hard for me to stay focused, so I planned the day to be a day full of lots of tasks, but tasks that don't take too much time to complete...and I ended up being really productive.

So, in preparation for those inexplicable mornings when you wake up feeling like a zombie, or it's that one week during the month when you're expecting to wake up feeling like a zombie, or if you just stayed up too late watching Scandal on Netflix (huh? what?)--if you just do a few preparatory things the night before and take a second to thoughtfully plan your day, it might not end up a complete disaster. Those small, preparatory measures you took, which really only take a few minutes in the evening, could really save your butt and your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment